Keith Fernsler, Ph.D. Resident Analyst
Dr. Keith Fernsler received his BA and MA in sociology from Indiana University, and his Ph.D. in sociology from the University of Montana. Dr. Fernsler taught at four different universities for over thirty years, and he is now Professor Emeritus at Dickinson State University. His academic specializations are in criminology, deviant behavior, and research methods.
Keith began his association with DLN Consulting, Inc., in 1999, when Deb Nelson, President of the company, asked if he would join her in seeking the contract for the North Dakota survey of seat belt use. He worked on that survey for ten years, and in 2001, Keith worked with Deb on a significant revision of the research methods for the North Dakota seat belt survey. As a result of that work, and with NHTSA's approval, the survey produced a far more accurate picture of seat belt use in North Dakota. Keith and Deb also designed the research methods that are used for the Wyoming seat belt surveys.
Dr. Fernsler is currently engaged in research design, data analysis, and report writing for a variety of projects, including the Wyoming seat belt use survey and surveys for North Dakota Workforce Safety and Insurance. In addition, he is available for consultation on special issues that draw on his experiences in education, educational governance, and organizational processes.
Keith has been a member of the American Sociological Association (ASA) for more than forty years. He was a founding member of ASA’s Teaching Resources Center, produced two editions of the Center’s guide for courses in deviant behavior, and helped with the review of a major revision of the ASA’s code of ethics. For the past ten years, he has been a member of the American Association of Public Opinion Research (AAPOR).
- Faculty Development Award-American Sociological Association Annual Convention
- Chapter Employee of the Year, ND Public Employees Association,
American Federation of Teachers
- Faculty Development Award -Great Plains Technology Conference
- Faculty Development Award
- Service Learning in Sociology
- American Sociological Association Annual Convention
- Ten-Year Service Award from Dickinson State University
- Faculty Development Award ∓ National Science Foundation Stipend-Political Science Faculty Workshop for Undergraduate Instruction in Data Analysis in Political Science
- National Science Foundation Grant-Quantitative Instruction on American Society
- Burlington Northern Faculty Achievement Award for Outstanding Service
- North Dakota Humanities Council Grant
- Bush Foundation Faculty Development Grant
- Computer-Assisted Instruction
- ASA Teaching Services Workshops on Curriculum Reform
- Law Enforcement Assistance Administration Dissertation Fellowship
- National Institute of Mental Health Criminology Traineeship
- National Defense Education Act Title IV Fellowship
Professional Memberships and Service
- American Association of Public Opinion Research
- ND Public Employee Association
- American Sociological Association
Community Memberships and Service
- Roughrider Country Kiwanis Club
- Secretary and Board Member
- City of Dickinson Urban Forestry Committee